UIBC’s Independent Business Forum on COVID-19, Thurs., April 30th Wrap-up
We want to sincerely thank U.S. Rep. Ben McAdams and everyone who attended this week’s virtual forum on COVID-19. As was mentioned on the call, we will likely be hosting this meeting weekly going forward and would like to continue this conversation throughout the week on our Facebook forum:
In summary, here are some highlights U.S. Rep. McAdams shared:
- Congress passed the 4th bill, an additional $400 Billion for economic support, which includes PPP loans and other small business resources.
- His office has received many phone calls from small business owners who have been unable to access loans etc. In response, he has requested the SBA release the list of businesses who have received funds, transparency is vital to making sure distributions are fair.
- Rep. McAdams reported that the Utah Department of Workforce Services has reported that 70% of those receiving unemployment benefits are job attached.
- Rep. McAdams stressed that gaining the public’s confidence will be the key to a successful re-opening. The first baby step begins on May 1. He also stressed it is up to every business and individual to take responsibility to do their part. Practice good hygiene, wear a mask in public, sanitize often.
- The Government is looking at several options to reduce the deficit moving forward, so far nothing has been decided concretely.
- The SBA application portal is currently closed as they work through loans already in the queue, it is thought to be reopened soon, TBA.
You can watch the video from Thursday’s virtual meeting by click the image below:
Special thanks to Salt Lake County Economic Development for the sponsorship of UIBC’s educational events.
The next virtual meeting will be on Thursday, May 7th, Click here to register to join the meeting.
P.S. You can support our mission by joining UIBC. Click here for more information: https://utahindependentbusiness.org/join/